Our Investment Philosophy
At Retirement Advocates, Inc., we take a balanced approach to planning for our clients’ retirement. We have found through research and experience that certain essential steps can be taken in the planning stages to help bring satisfying and stress-free retirements. These steps are integrated into our approach with our clients as we work together to form a retirement strategy:
- We listen first. No one wants to meet with a potential advisor and feel like a number. Unique problems require thoughtful, individual solutions, and the only way to provide that level of care is to listen to the people we work for.
- We work hard to “first, do no harm.” As fiduciaries, we are ethically and legally compelled to put our clients’ needs and priorities before our own. That means not moving you from where you are invested unless it will be in YOUR benefit to do so. To this end, we perform an in-depth analysis of your portfolio prior to even discussing potential changes.
- We believe that communication is the key to every relationship. That includes the relationship between you and your financial advisor. We not only conduct regular face-to-face meetings with our clients, we communicate with all of our clients via email or text weekly. In addition, we are constantly available to answer your questions or discuss investment and insurance strategy.
- We believe in true diversification. Retirement planning requires a well-rounded approach. Many people think that being diversified means having your money in a lot of different investments and financial vehicles, but then they ignore diversification in the types of investments they have. No single investment provides the perfect blend of return, guarantees and liquidity. That’s why anyone with money in just mutual funds or only in annuities is not properly diversified.
- We recognize fees as the growth-killers they are. Nothing can stymie the growth of a portfolio like lots of hidden fees. At Retirement Advocates, Inc., our client portfolios are constructed with a desire to keep product fees low, or even no-fee if possible.
- We never try to “beat the market.” One of the most widespread myths in retirement planning is that growth should be your top priority. Many people do well in saving for retirement, reducing their risk that they will run out of money in retirement. Even so, other people continue to chase returns, hoping for the greatest return possible — and end up exposing themselves to unnecessary market risk. Our approach is to try to achieve consistent returns in a portfolio that minimizes volatility.
- We are constantly monitoring your account. We attach a no-obligation risk-mitigation mechanism called WealthGuard™ to each of our client accounts. WealthGuard™ monitors your accounts on a daily basis to help increase communication between you and your advisor in real time, as well as to help move you out of harm’s way in the event of a large market drawdown.
- We do not try to be everything to everyone. We’re committed to providing a superior service experience to our clients to help them enjoy the retirement of their dreams. We recognize that means we cannot take on everyone. If we think that we are not a good fit for each other, or if we feel your portfolio does not need any adjustments or added protection, we will be upfront with you about that.